September 5th, 2009 (Modified on December 31st, 2009)

Update1: A New Tax Deduction…for Pets?

Update1: Due to the numerous amount of comments we received from readers who were in favor of the tax deduction for pets (see story below), we wanted to provide them with another avenue to financially protect themselves and the health of their pets, in case Rep. McCotter’s bill doesn’t go through.

Just like our medical bills, vet bills can pile up fast and can easily cause you to fall into debt. For many years, pet insurance has been popular amongst pet owners nationwide. It can help to preserve the heath of your animals and to help keep your finances intact at the same time. Pet owners widely consider their animals as part of the family, so when the vet says their pet needs surgery or prescription medication, they don’t think twice.

Protect your hard-earned money and the health of your pet by considering pet insurance.

(Original story published on 8/19/09) Despite the laundry list of pressing matters facing lawmakers these days — the recession, an unemployment rate of 9.4%, a national divide over the president’s proposed health care reform (just to name a few) — one U.S. lawmaker recently proposed a bill which would allow pet owners to deduct up to $3,500 for “qualified pet-care expenses.”

The bill, introduced by Rep. Thaddeus McCotter, R-Mich., is being referred to as the HAPPY Act, a.k.a the Humanity and Pets Partnered Through the Years Act. The HAPPY Act covers a multitude of expenses that owners of domestic animals can accrue in a given year. What it doesn’t cover is the purchase or adoption cost of the animal itself.

Enter the Backlash (emphasis added):

Kathy at Blogging For Michigan also notes that people can deduct expenses for their own medical care only if those costs exceed 7.5% of adjusted gross income, so the bill would give your pet’s medical bills better tax treatment than your own.

We love our dogs, but we think this is kind of silly. Sure, pets have gained more legal rights in the last decade or so, and aren’t simply property that you can treat any way you want. Thank goodness for that. But a tax deduction? We can imagine all kinds of problems, including how this would be enforced.

Pet Advocates Love the Idea

Despite the criticisms, the bill does have some concrete objectives. The HAPPY Act is designed to ensure “…that pet owners provide adequate veterinary and other necessary pet care. It encourages responsible pet ownership and will hopefully reduce the abandonment of pets by people struggling as a result of the economic downturn.”

The Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council (PIJAC) issue a “pet alert” supporting the lawmaker’s bill, saying it ensures responsible pet ownership.

What do you say? Has this bill been long overdue, or do the nation’s lawmakers have more pressing issues to worry about?

For more on the subject, read our post titled “Foreclosed Pets.”

57 Responses to “Update1: A New Tax Deduction…for Pets?”

1. Mitch Says: August 19th, 2009 at 5:48 pm

This is just getting goofier and goofier; and we elect these guys, no less. That’s just extreme; people can’t eat or keep their houses, and we’re going to give them a big tax break so they can have pets. Wow,…

2. Jon Says: August 19th, 2009 at 7:35 pm

I love it, I spent 6500.00 on my dogs back surgery this year. He is my best friend and I would do it again. This bill would help us alot.

3. janice boucher Says: August 19th, 2009 at 9:09 pm

It is about time we pet parents get some kind of tax break. There are tax breaks for taking care of children, parents, homes and jobs. Our doggie children need the same kind of break. It has my support.

4. Don Thomason Says: August 19th, 2009 at 9:48 pm

It is about time….my dogs cost more in medical veterinary care the any kid would, and if I don’t take care of them adequately the animal control people will fine me. Plus my Fifi (Tibetan Terrier) is smarter than your honor roll student in the way that she can figure things out to benefit her….

5. susan Says: August 19th, 2009 at 10:58 pm

I love the idea!! I hope it passes, just this year alone i’ved paid over 500.00 and still have more visits’ to the vet left to go this year.

6. Elliot Says: August 20th, 2009 at 10:19 am

What’s next, social security numbers for our pets. We have 56 fish. Will be tough to keep track of.

7. Tim Manni Says: August 20th, 2009 at 11:02 am

Mitch,

Thanks for commenting. That was the issue I had with the proposal. Granted, pets can be an expense, but our lawmakers are smack in the middle of the worst economy we’ve had in decades. Maybe this one can wait.

8. Tim Manni Says: August 20th, 2009 at 11:04 am

Jon,

Thanks for sharing — I think a lot of pet owners agree with you. Especially if pets need surgeries, as in your case, the expenses can go through the roof.

But, should this be a precedent right now given the country’s financial and economic state?

Great hearing from you,

9. Tim Manni Says: August 20th, 2009 at 11:08 am

Hey Janice,

You bring up a good point: “There are tax breaks for taking care of children, parents, homes and jobs.”

There’s an argument going around that says, “if you can’t afford a pet, don’t get one.” Yet, that same argument could be used against the items Americans can already get tax cuts for (homes, kids, etc.)

Nice addition to the discussion, thanks,

10. Tim Manni Says: August 20th, 2009 at 11:18 am

Hey Don,

Well…I’m not sure I agree with you here. Kids can be a major expense, especially since parents have to legally care for them until they’re 18 yrs old. And the honor roll thing…well I’ll leave that one alone.

I do agree with you that pet owners, like parents, are responsible for looking after and care their responsibilities. If not, the law can intervene.

Thanks for your comment,

11. Tim Manni Says: August 20th, 2009 at 11:18 am

Thanks for sharing Susan, visit us again soon,

12. Lucia Says: August 20th, 2009 at 7:02 pm

By what standard is a pet’s value measured? How does one measure happiness, especially since one man’s beloved Fifi is another man’s bain for midnight barking? What kind of precedent is being set here and why stop at deductions for pets?

I think it’s reasonable to claim tax deductions for guard dogs, seeing eye dogs, livestock dogs or handicap companions. But pets are not children, in that children are the future generation of our society and tax deductions are a relief for the expense of child rearing.

13. Tim Manni Says: August 21st, 2009 at 11:18 am

Lucia,

Great points. I could too see tax deductions for dogs that preform services, like seeing-eye dogs, but as you said, where does this end? I can’t say I’m familiar with tax breaks for animals, but certainly if you give domestic pets a tax credit, why not do it for every other animal (farm animals, service animals, the Budweiser Clydesdales, etc.).

I can’t say I agree with the “pets are my kids” argument, because, as you say, “…pets are not children, in that children are the future generation of our society and tax deductions are a relief for the expense of child rearing.”

14. Paul Says: August 26th, 2009 at 6:07 pm

So at what point does the pet reach maturity and begin to earn a living and will then start to pay taxes? At least we parents have the hope that someday our children will contribute to Social Security and we can retire. A deduction for pets is the stupidest idea I have heard yet. Where does this end?!?

15. Moms2big Says: August 27th, 2009 at 7:20 pm

I don’t know if I agree with the tax bill for animals, but I it would have been a definite item a month ago. You see we are loosing our house due to my medical bills and my husbands job cutting back to 3 days a week from 6 days a week. We tried to take one of our 3 dogs to HSA to be adopted out but due to the separately of her separation anxiety attaches they had to put her to sleep. We were one day late in trying to get her back to try to place her somewhere else. Now we don’t know what we are going to do with our other 2 dogs. Yes we have tried to be a good parent by keeping pet insurance on them that we are still under contract with. The only way to end the contract early is to find them a home or end their life. Maybe the tax bill would be a good incentive for someone to give our pets a good home.

16. Tim Manni Says: August 31st, 2009 at 11:32 am

Paul,

Thanks for commenting, sorry it took me so long to respond. I think you make really valid points against this argument. There seems to be two concrete sides to this, it’s either no way or all the way.

Always good hearing from you,

17. Tim Manni Says: August 31st, 2009 at 11:36 am

Moms2big,

Thanks for commenting, we’re sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately pets can become an added expense on top of other mounting bills like your mortgage. We must applaud you for doing the responsible thing in trying to find your pets another home.

Best of luck,

18. Di Says: September 1st, 2009 at 1:27 pm

I think this is a great idea. Our government offers all kinds of tax breaks for having children (and more money if you keep having them and you’re on welfare!). Why shouldn’t pet owners get something back for contributing happy and healthly companions to a community of friends and neighbords? The law says that pets are ‘property’ yet you can’t insure them as you would other property you own, car, house, boat, etc. Why is that? I would support laws that equalized pet ownership to other ‘property’ and encouraged people to treat them like a member of a human family.

19. Tim Manni Says: September 1st, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Hey Di,

You can insure your pet! I just had a discussion with a co-worker that said she has gotten it for her dog. The name of the company is VPI Pet Insurance.

I understand that many, many people consider their pets as their children. However, I’m not sure I agree with the argument that pets are children. If pet owners want to insure their animals to help pay for vet bills, I’m 100% ok with that. But giving them the same, or in this case better tax structures than humans is out of the question in my opinion.

So I’m all for pet insurance, but a tax break…not so much.

Thanks for commenting, hope to hear from you again soon!

20. Amy Says: September 4th, 2009 at 11:29 am

This is long over due. We just lost our Shepherd of 4 years to Canine Lymphoma. We could only afford 1 round of Chemo which was out of pocket, about $6,000 plus additional expenses for a chronic ear infection. This would really help us if approved for 2009 taxes. You would be surprised how many out there regard their pets as a true 100% members of the family, not just labeled as a dog or a cat.

21. Tim Manni Says: September 4th, 2009 at 11:44 am

Amy,

Sorry to hear about your Shepard. Have you thought of pet insurance? There’s a company call VPI pet insurance…Click here to check it out.

22. Visionary Realty News » Trim Your Pet Expenses in This ‘Ruff’ Economy Says: September 7th, 2009 at 11:54 pm

[...] post in which we wrote last month about a possible tax credit for pets received quite a number of comments — some for and some against the idea. Whether the proposed [...]

23. Elisa Says: October 13th, 2009 at 6:33 am

I’ve had my beautiful cat Lucy-fur for 11 years, and my dog Sandy for 14 years. What’s not going to stop someone from optaining an animal just for a short time in order to get the credit? How do you prove you own a pet? What qualifies as a pet? A snake, hermit crab, hamster? Perhaps if you can show proof of expenses over the amount of the deduction, then maybe a I can see the bill being passed. But as a pet owner of 3 cats and 1 dog, and a mother of 3 boys, I know I CHOOSE this life care of my home and all living within. And I do not expect the government to bail me out!
    Elisa, family of nine

24. Tim Manni Says: October 13th, 2009 at 9:01 am

Elisa,

Wow. I think you have been the first pet owner to say this bill is unnecessary — we love getting opinions from both sides, thanks. To my understanding the tax credit would deal with medical bills and such. At first I have to admit, the bill sounded odd, frankly. But the amount of positive responses we have gotten from the story proves that there is a strong interest out there for this — and lawmakers serve to appeal to their voters. However, is it fair to offer pets a better tax structure than humans?

We also like your attitude: “I do not expect the government to bail me out!” I think many Americans share your sentiment that the “bailout era” should be over and done with.

Great comment, thanks for sharing, visit us again soon,

25. Al Says: October 14th, 2009 at 7:34 am

WAY TO GO REPRESENTITIVE Thaddeus McCotter, R-Mich.
    I have two dogs and three cats and take them in per the schedule I keep next to my office desk. In fact, I just took the three cats; which all came to me by way of having been abandoned; to the local veterinarian shop, for annual shots. The dogs are not due for about another nine months, for their shots. Total costs per year average about four to five hundred,GREEN BACK AMERICAN DOLLARS, not counting the food. Oh, incidentally, I pay taxes on those shots and on the food also. I don’t even want to get into that, as it makes me nauseous, to even try to come up with that figure.

So, like another respondant made a motion to. There really are many people out there, having babies and abandoning them to the “world” or whatever “fate may have in store for them. There are others out “there” running around their own neighborhoods, killing one another, in the names of this gang or that gang. Again as the other person said, “costing us a lot of extra tax dollars, along with our normal taxes”(which I feel pretty sure THEY are not paying any of.)

Yeah, try to have them pay their share of taxes!!!!!!!!

And then!!!!!!!!!!!! We also have those people in the stock market taking millions or billions or it seems possibly even in the trillions, when added together, who surely haven’t claimed all of those profits on their taxes, which must somehow fall back on the average working stiff. So why not give that average working guy or gal a break, when it comes to them and their loving pets?

With all of the OFF THE WALL ideas being proposed, this doesn’t really seem that far “off the wall” to me.

Perhaps a pet or two in the senate might just bring the show to a close real fast. Imagine what a thousand stray pooches would do for the vote, if they were set in there without any food and starving, like so many on the outside of those hallowed halls. Let the men and women who make the rules see some of the suffering of these poor animals who may have been thrown out because they were not “good fighters” or were beaten nearly to death, because they happened to bark more than some uncaring person felt was needed.

Remember the old movie “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington?”

Maybe a new Mr. Smith could bring in about a thousand road weary animals. Cats, dogs, white mice, black mice, spotted mice, guinea pigs, hamsters, parrots, lizards, or a full grown aligator from some local sewer system, etc. All of which have been abandoned or even those who may have escaped and have wandered for months.

Give the animals a break and give their loving owners a tax break, all in one easy vote.

In any case, thank you for your time.

26. Cindy Morris Says: October 14th, 2009 at 12:04 pm

I think this is a awesome idea that some one has come up with. I have a 7 year old Golden Retriver that has been at the vet for 2 weeks now and are bill is $15,000.00 yeah that right! Are dog Max had his Gollbladder rupture and everything they have had to treat him for since they opened him up to find out what they couldn’t see from all the xrays and Ultra sounds.You love your pets but when is it to much that you can’t afford to help your pet? Were now trying to figure out how to pay our vet bill, were going to have to sell our car and a few other things that we will be ale hopefully to replace in a few years. Depending on the economy.So yes for many people out there that are in the same perdicament as we are I think,I know every little bit helps believe me!

27. Tim Manni Says: October 14th, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Hey Cindy,

Thanks for commenting. Wow $15,000, that’s awful! How do you feel about pet insurance? In the future is that something you would consider? For those that support this tax break, I’m trying to figure out who of those are interested in pet insurance.

Good luck, thanks for commenting,

28. Tim Manni Says: October 14th, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Al,

I like the “Mr. Smith” analogy — it’s a good comparison, bring the subject of the bill to the lawmakers, I’m sure it would influence some votes. Again, I’m trying to gauge pet owners’ opinion of pet insurance — what do you think of it?

29. Cindy Morris Says: October 14th, 2009 at 1:18 pm

We are looking in to pet insurance and would think it would be the best thing to do having two dogs from this point on.

Thanks Again
    Cindy

30. Tim Manni Says: October 14th, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Thanks for the quick response Cindy, please visit us again soon!

31. buffysgirl Says: October 14th, 2009 at 6:53 pm

I do have VPI pet insurance for my dogs and agree that it’s a good investment. The major problem with the insurance is that you still have to come up with the money (out of pocket)for the total amount at the time of the vet expense. The insurance will reimburse a partial amount after the fact. Sometimes it is really hard to come up with the money to begin with.

32. Tim Manni Says: October 14th, 2009 at 8:35 pm

buffysgirl,

Great thanks for sharing your experiences with pet insurance — that’s great info to know, thanks!

Visit us again soon,

33. Ron Dankert Says: October 15th, 2009 at 2:20 pm

the most stupid thing i have heard laitly. We have people lossing homes and jobs, we will be taxed to death when when these so called smart people we have in d.c. get through with the health care system. Seams to me there are a lot more things we can do in congress than a tax break for pet owners……………

34. Tim Manni Says: October 18th, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Hey Ron,

I can’t blame you for feeling that way at all. I agree, I don’t see a “pet” bill passing during an economic downturn…even though it’s meant for their owners.

Thanks, visit us again soon,

35. Mary Moore Says: October 19th, 2009 at 3:33 pm

I personally think that it is a great idea for people who have dogs and cats, and responsibly take care of them.
    I have one dog and have pet insurance on him however, it is not free and not to mention the food and grooming. It is true that we choose to have pets and not always are able to afford some of the care that they may need and it is also true that they are not children but people also make the choice to have children and can not always afford them either. If it is possible to put a man in jail for harming or killing a animal I think that they are important enough for us to be able to get some sort of tax credit for loving and caring for them and I am absolutely not saying that punishment should not be given to people that hurt and harm animals but If someone can go to jail for it then it is a serious issue. Some of us do love and care for our pets as though they are our children not human but they are one of Gods living creatures. I do think that their should be a criteria as to one constitutes a domestic pet not exoctic animals. Dogs and cats actually pet insurances.

36. Tim Manni Says: October 20th, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Thanks for commenting Mary. “If it is possible to put a man in jail for harming or killing a animal I think that…”: that’s a good point.

37. Jim Says: October 20th, 2009 at 2:04 pm

we have reached a new bottom. What part of fiscal discipline do people not understand. There will come a day and we are close when this country defaults. How can anyone support more deficit spending ideas. We need less government, not more spending…

38. Tim Manni Says: October 20th, 2009 at 2:14 pm

Hey Jim,

You touched on a point in this discussion many haven’t — fiscal discipline. Yet, the lawmakers who wrote the bill will tell you it’s an effort to support the taxpayer. Where do we draw the line in support for the taxpayer? Many need the government’s help, but others, like you, agree that this support goes a little too far.

In your opinion, is there any compromise here?

39. Trish Says: October 20th, 2009 at 6:26 pm

I think this is wonderful. I am tried of paying people with children 5 and 6 thousands dollars back in tax money each year when they are using welfare money, where I do not have children and get nothing but pay more taxes to take care of other peoples children. My dogs are my children, where is my tax money????????? I just dropped $4,000 for surgery for him, and I would do it again, but I would not mind alittle help also. I will do what I can to get this bill passed

40. Tim Manni Says: October 21st, 2009 at 9:31 am

Trish,

Thanks for commenting. This bill is really beginning to see some traction in the media (we like to boast that we were one of the first to write about it), and that could help its chances.

Feel free to visit us again and comment on another story.

Hope to hear from you soon, thanks,

41. Robin Says: October 27th, 2009 at 2:26 am

I hope the Happy act passes. I think it’s a great idea. I have 3 cats and I think it will keep animals in homes and off the streets, from being abandoned or taken to shelters.

I say YES let’s do this.

42. Tim Manni Says: October 27th, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Hey Robin,

Thanks for commenting. You make a good point that this could keep the animals off the street and out of shelters.

Please comment again soon! Thanks,

43. Gina Says: November 2nd, 2009 at 3:54 am

This is great! People that choose to have animals in their families deserve a tax cut just like people who choose to pump out children. Animal lives need a larger value placed on them. The fact that thousands of healthy unwanted animals are “legally” put to sleep daily in unbelievable. People need to quit thinking they are better than all other living beings.

44. Marie Says: November 2nd, 2009 at 6:13 pm

This is the most idiotic thing I have heard in a long time. If people are that concerned about the well being of animals why don’t they turn on the back yard breeders and the idiots that don’t spay or neuter their pets. Unbelievable. Just unbelievable. I spent $6K on my dogs legs but I certainly don’t expect other taxpayers to subsidize the cost. Americans have to be the whinest people on the planet. Good grief! Just when I thought I has heard it all. We have whiney fat people lining up for healthcare while they smoke cigarettes and now they will carry their fat pets along with them demanding tax credits.

45. Tim Manni Says: November 3rd, 2009 at 10:38 am

Gina,

Thanks for your comment. I like a lot of readers agree that a higher value should be put the lives of animals. I’m starting to be of the opinion that if pet owners treat and think of their pets as children, they should be treated like children. No parent (who can afford it) allows their child to go uninsured. Pet owners should take a greater interest in pet insurance, and if pet insurance doesn’t cover enough of the bills, the policies should be revamped to do so.

46. Tim Manni Says: November 3rd, 2009 at 10:41 am

Marie,

Good to hear from you. You have quite an interesting perspective on this. I find it interesting that you’re a pet owner (who has spent significant money on their animal) and yet you don’t agree with the tax break. Without assuming too much, I tend to think you’re fed up with this “bailout” environment we have lived in for the past year or so.

Since you oppose the tax break, I want to know if you have pet insurance?

47. Marie Says: November 3rd, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Tim,

We don’t have pet insurance. We use the mobile vaccination clinics at Petco to save money, and the veterinarian clinic for everything else. We feed our pets high quality food and they get plenty of exercise. Not only do our pets deserve this care, but these steps prevent health problems from developing.

Thanks!

Marie

P.S. Yes. I am tired of whiney lazy people that expect everything for free.

48. Tim Manni Says: November 3rd, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Marie, thanks for getting back to me so fast!

Your response has got me thinking…Most people agree that owning a pet is a choice, and most agree that pets are special to their owners. Owning a home is also a choice and houses are thought of as “homes.” The two seem very similar. You choose to own a pet, you choose to own a home. As you pointed out, they require time, effort and financial sacrifice to keep them going. I think many pet owners see whats being extended to homeowners, banks, etc. and they feel that the same should be offered to them. I can’t say I blame someone who wants some compensation for the financial responsibilities they carry, but it takes a strong individual to stand up and reject the current model and structure that our economy has taken.

I do however think the economy is why this bill has been proposed in the first place. Financial distress brings lawmakers together to find ways to help shave costs.

I’ll end this ramble by saying that I’m encouraged to hear that some consumers are pushing to end the government assistance, even if they could use it.

49. Sophia Says: November 10th, 2009 at 1:18 pm

I am all for this bill to pass and for those who disagree, then don’t participate – what is your problem? I don’t have children but have pets that I love as if they were my children. Due to the economy I am struggling, I am glad someone had the heart and brains to propose a bill like this and give us, true pet lovers, a chance to keep taking care of what we love so much.

To the incompetent fools who do not agree with this, Is say again – DO NOT PARTICIPATE what is your problem?!! Perhaps you would rather have children just for the sake of having us the taxpayers keep paying to raise them……now how about doing something about that? Stop complaining about what you know nothing about and start putting your efforts where it really counts! For God’s sake, SHUT UP!!

50. Tim Manni Says: November 10th, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Sophia,

Thanks for commenting. I think many would agree with where you’re coming from.

We’ll keep you posted, thanks,

51. Gina Says: November 19th, 2009 at 4:49 am

Marie,
    I see your point of frustration at free hand-outs from the government, but the fact that you can afford a $6,000 surgery puts you in an elite category of financial ability. Most struggling Americans can’t even afford to spend $6K on themselves, let alone on Fido. Thousands of unwanted animals are being put to sleep daily as more and more people loose their jobs and homes; just go to Petsmart and see the cats in cages with signs “Owner lost Home”. You obviously care for animals by how well you take care of yours. As a fellow pet lover, if you have better ideas on how to adress these unmanagible costs associated with pet omnership, please write your congressman. Maybe no other ideas have been explored yet.

52. Peggy Says: November 30th, 2009 at 8:30 pm

I am all for the bill to a point. I have 4 rescues and 2 have health issues. I can not afford insurance on my boys. The people that stick their animals out in the yard or tie them up and don’t do anything with them but feed them now and then should not get the tax break. Those of us that truely love and care for our animals need help sometimes. I am lucky because my vet will help me out when I need it. He knows how well I take care of my boys. One of mine was not suppose to live to be a year old. Because of the care and love I have given him over the years, he is almost 1 years old. I cost me a fortune over the years but well worth it. I even went into debt to keep him well. I will welcome the help on my vet bills.

53. Cassi Says: December 20th, 2009 at 10:07 pm

After much thought and consideration i have decided it might be necessary to clarify a few points of intellect which have been clearly forgotten. For instance the conversation revolved around pet insurance for a while. I find it interesting that this “medical coverage” is considered a form of property owning. This is not the case at all thus we pet owners are not provided the same tax credits. Also, much like someone alluded above-pet insurance is an out of pocket expense that you pay a lot of money for and do not see 100% reimbursement for. Let me clarify that I have pet insurance and it has not really helped. Either way it is another corporate greed scam and “solution” without all of the positive repercussions promised. Back to my point, pet insurance is not the solution! If it was we likely would not have someone in our government writing a bill around it. What a waste of that persons time if the insurance “fixed” the problem.

Secondly, a couple of people were very nasty and judgemental in their responses. What I would respond with, is shame on you! It clearly demonstrates a lack of class on your own part to impart so much judgement on those whom you do not know. Perhaps it would be in your best interest to have some inner self-reflection. This might help you get past worrying about everyone else and focus on you and how you can be better people. I know that I will even in writing this. Aggressively belittling other human beings on a website detracts from the entire purpose of the ability to comment. We are supposed to argue with validity and purpose not out of anger and misdirection.

Lastly, I am sure that most of you might agree that our government does not often make good decisions on our behalf. So…what are you doing to change that? I am hoping that this brings us back to the conversation at hand. Has anyone actually read the bill? I have been looking for it to obtain a better understanding of the impact the bill will have if passed. Probably a better starting point.

Cassi

54. Tim Manni Says: December 21st, 2009 at 11:44 am

Hey Cassi,

Thanks for commenting. While we believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion, I can see where some of your frustration is coming from. Many pet owners have made it clear that this bill has been a long time coming. Perhaps this story is need of another update to get readers up to speed with the latest developments.

Thanks, and we hope to hear from you again soon,

55. Concerned Says: February 17th, 2010 at 9:47 am

are you people REALLY serious? i have dogs, love my dogs, but would never in my life support a tax dedcution because I choose to take on a responsibility. unlike humans, pets are at the end of the day just pets. there are far better issues that should be address in the senate and heaven forbid this thing passes…don’t they already have enough B.S. laws and regulations? get a grip folks!!

That’s my two cents!

Concerned

56. Tim Manni Says: February 17th, 2010 at 10:50 am

Concerned,

Thanks for sharing your opinion. It’s interesting that there’s a divide on this proposal even between pet owners.

Thanks again,

57. Arron Cooper Says: February 19th, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing