Stories From This Past Weekby Tim Manni
Here is a recap of all the stories we published this week — in case you need to get caught up.
3. Uncertainty Is Hurting Job Growth: Costly portions of pending legislations, like the health care reform, leave small business owners uncertain about the future.
2. UPDATE6: Obama Signs New Homebuyer Tax Credit: It’s a done deal. Mixed in with a bill that extends unemployment benefits, no lawmaker could vote against it.
1. We’ve Surpassed 10% Before 2010: The unemployment rate reached this alarming level before many had predicted — not good.
2. Commercial Real Estate Remains Grim, But Is Bottom Near?: Industry professionals say they see the bottom, we’re unsure.
1. Fannie Turning Borrowers Into Renters: A new plan allows failed borrowers to rent out their homes for a year. It’s called the “Deed for Lease Program.”
2. Low Rates for “An Extended Period’?: According to the Fed, mortgage rates should stayed subdued for, you guessed it, “an extended period.”
1. Wells Fargo Introduces An “Interesting” Mod Strategy: Wells is betting the house on economic recovery…We’ll see.
2. Get to Know Reverse Mortgages: If you have questions about a reverse mortgage, read this handy four-page guide from the OCC.
1. Could You Live Without Credit Cards?: Here’s the bottom line: if you’re unhappy with your credit card, stop using it.
3. A Freeze on Credit Card Rates?: A political ploy or a sincere belief? You decide.
2. Remember Home Equity?: Not many do, and for good reason.
1. Mortgage Rates Are Hanging In There: Another week with stable rates. Don’t wait to lock in.
1. UPDATE2: GM Extends 60-Day Guarantee: Only good news if you’re planning to buy a new car and have a history of returning the things you buy (like the guy from the Chevy commercial).