June 2nd, 2010 (Modified on June 4th, 2010)

LATEST POLL: How Did You Utilize Your Tax Refund?

Assuming you received your federal tax refund already, we’re looking to find out what you did with your money this year.

Granted, if your withholdings and deductions are in perfect alignment, you should technically get no money back. Yet for many, me included, giving up a few extra dollars from each paycheck is a worth-while payoff to receiving a check from the government every year. Of course, I did give them an interest-free loan all year, so it’s the least they can do.

Just because the recession technically ended in the end of 2009, doesn’t mean everyone else’s economic woes have ended. That being the case, perhaps your tax-return-spending habits changed this year from those prior.

We want to know what you did with your 2009 tax refund; please vote on our poll below:

How Did You Utilize Your Tax Refund?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

If your answer isn’t included in the options we provided in the poll, leave us a comment below to let us know the story behind how you utilized your 2009 tax return.

[post first published on May 27, 2010]

7 Responses to “LATEST POLL: How Did You Utilize Your Tax Refund?”

1. Chris Says: May 27th, 2010 at 11:19 am

I ended up owing over $300 this year, but I think that was mostly because I had a 1099 for a few thousand dollars.

2. Tim Manni Says: May 27th, 2010 at 11:28 am

I was in the same boat Chris. Luckily I budgeted according and didn’t have to pull that cash out of my savings.

3. Lucia Says: May 27th, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I used it to pay estimated taxes for this year. I’m required to pay 90% or more each quarter of what I paid the preceding year, which is burdensome when my income has declined sustantially. But it’s a part of being self-employed and the large return helps to pay that tax again.

4. Tim Manni Says: May 27th, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Hey Lucia,

I’d be willing to bet that’s a popular response. One of my co-workers just told me his wife, who is also self-employed, did the exact same thing as a way to deflect some of her tax costs come next quarter.

Thanks as always,

5. Tweets that mention NEW POLL: How Did You Utilize Your Tax Return? | HSH Financial News Blog -- Topsy.com Says: May 27th, 2010 at 3:22 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by HSH Associates, HSH Associates. HSH Associates said: NEW POLL: How Did You Utilize Your Tax Return? http://bit.ly/ctAF7m Has your tax-return-spending habits changed this year from those prior? [...]

6. Tyler Says: May 27th, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Just for clarification, it’s called a tax refund. A tax return is the thing we all have to file every year before April 15th.

7. Tim Manni Says: May 27th, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Tyler,

You’re absolutely right, thanks.